Sunday, July 18, 2010

1998 Chianti Classico

1998 Monti Verdi Cipressone Chianti Classico

1998 Monteverdi Vigneto Cipressone, DOCG Chianti Classico

A friend had remarked to me that she'd never seen me serve an Italian wine for dinner before. No, I really haven't. I don't drink much Italian wine, barely have any in my cellar. Brunello's a bit of a mess, Barolo's too damn expensive, and I'll drink any cheap port before I touch Amarone. What else does that leave me with, that I can easily find at LCBO? A few quirky Sicilian wines, cheap Barbera's, and not much else. I would drink more Sangiovese di Romagna if it was offered, and if I wasn't verbally mauled everytime I write about it.

But what the hell, I decided to pull out an older Chianti for our dinner. Second beef dish, a pan-seared rib-eye, cooked medium-rare. A toasty wine, very much the new style of Chianti. Drinkable, but also unremarkable in every way. And wine should not have to be that way. See why I hesitate to drink Italian?

DF

No comments:

Post a Comment