Sunday, December 9, 2007

To Gary

I woke up this morning to find an interesting, albeit unexpected comment on my last post. It was from the subject of my last post, I hope. And it made me think.

I was very rude in last night's post. Studying until past 4.........well, I'm not making excuses. I fully stand behind and defend my position in everything I've writen. But nonetheless, this was not a very good way to start a blog! I apologize for anything offensive I wrote about Gary. Having never met the guy, it's terrible to be bashing him, but I do feel very strongly about the subject. So I apologize.

Having said that, I still think he's a tacky person. The whole rating game is overdone and people need to start being more creative. Let's leave all that nonsense to people with no imagination like Parker and Johnson and Robinson. There's no joy for wine in watching someone gargle it and spit it out like Listerine. And saying shit like, "Let's take a sniffy sniff!"

Oh, and come on, no one posts such a nice comment when they read a post describing them as a "douche and a "schmuck". Come on now, be real.

3 comments:

  1. :) I Do man, I have been in the wine biz a long time, when i was 22 I was always getting hosed on cause I looked 15 but since I had been reading about wine for 5 yrs and tasting as a buyer for a shop for a year at the point I was very into wine and KNEW who I was. Again I think u have str8 passion for this vino stuff and since I have been in your shows and have been involved in the biz for years now and can clearly see you are passionate and respect that, I feel super comfortable in taking it on the chin, Again I live in NYC and Work in NJ and really do hope we cross paths at a tasting or somewhere else one day! Hey and if u want to meet up email me at garyv @ winelibrary dot com :) Stay well man!
    Seriously!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey man, I respect that, you seem like a stand-up guy. Really, you do. Too bad you don't come across that way in your show. It takes a lot to come up with a show that rates wine, but you have to understand how something like that rubs people the wrong way, especially in how you present it. And are you mistaking me for someone I'm not? I'm just a 4th year student from Toronto, nothing more. Feel honoured that you'd keep responding to my posts, but I have nothing to do with the wine trade. Again, my sincere apologies, I'm an emotional person and I come off as very abrasive, as my friends can attest to. I never meant to attack you personally. To be quite honest, I would have completely understood it if you came back with something a lot harder, which you didn't. I really respect that, and hope that you'll continue to visit my blog and provide me with some of your insights. I'll begin watching your shows, and even though I'll still might cringe, I'm sure there'll be lots that I can learn from it.

    Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool man, I have been invited to speak in Canada a few times for a wine events in 08, I hope we can cross paths, in fact a fellow Canuk won the Vayniac contest!
    http://onthedrive.blogspot.com/2007/12/hello-vaynernation.html
    Stay well man, and I get you on my vids, taken into consideration! I got into wine at your age cause of my pops too and so I guess that is something I see in common, u know!

    ReplyDelete