1996 Château La Gorce | AC Médoc Cru Bourgeois
As I was rummaging in my cellar for stuff to drink, I thought of this wine. Backstory to this bottle. Not something I thought of very highly, which is probably why I didn't hesitate to pull the cork. And that's how magic happens, when expectations are so low you wonder if pulling the cork is even worth the effort.I had no idea what to expect, but wanted my cousin to taste some older wines. Cork drew out clean, and looked pristine with no seepage. Saturation holding on, with just a tinge of browning. The wine was just delicious, with graphite minerality, fully integrated oak, and a savoury character only mature claret possesses. Lovely. Elegant, finely structured, and just drinking beautifully.
Just when you think you know a wine . . . up your ass.
DF
This wine was very special indeed: it was the year of my father's death, he died in June 1996. I always think of it as his last wine, even if he wasn't there when it was made: it was he, despite his illness, who looked after the vine the whole year.
ReplyDeleteHenri Fabre's daughter.