If I don't spend my vacation eating myself silly, what's the point then?
I have simple tastes. All I ask for is food that's fresh, seasonal, and authentic . . . that's not too demanding, is it? And I found it not a block away from our apartment. Tapas, for heaven's sake . . . in Paris! Da Rosa carries the most amazing selection of jamón ibérico; beautiful hams carved by hand, distinguished by even the variety of pig it's made from. I went to town. From the bellota Unico hams to the Serrano de Trevelez, I devoured each plate like it was my last meal. The chorizo was just indescribably delicious, just happiness and absolute pleasure on a plate. They serve spring vegetables too - a simple salad and baby artichokes slathered in the most lusciously raw olive oil were a dream. Sigh. I can still taste those paper thin slices of Unico, the sweetest, richest meat I've ever tasted - almost hard to believe that it's pork.
For our last meal in Paris, I ordered a tableful of meat and artichokes. Oh yes, I was going to fill up because we're on the wrong side of Spain. With it all, a bottle of 2009 Filippo Gallino Roero Arneis. Fresh, clean, structured - infinitely satisfying.
DF
No comments:
Post a Comment