贵州茅台
Moutai. One of the great alcoholic beverages of China - our national drink, in fact. We poured a few glasses at dinner last Friday, after the meal. At 53%, you don't play around. A distilled eau-de-vie, from sorghum, made in the town of 茅台 (Maotai).
I personally don't enjoy this eau-de-vie, although I've seen more than a few of my compatriots down it like water. It's fiery, and oily, with a stinky, rustic nose. The fragrance does grow on you, and it has the most incredible length, but I fail to see its merits strictly based on taste. I understand the cultural significance of this drink, but I limit myself to no more than 3 or 4 sips. It's lethal. But it is the drink that Premier 周恩来 (Zhou En-Lai) served to President Nixon during the 1972 visit to China. So there you go. The drink of great men of history.
Photo, courtesy of ROKChoi.
DF
Hi
ReplyDeleteIs this drink stopped with a cork or a plastic screw cap?
Thanks for your input.
-MC
Plastic screwcap, there's no romance to Chinese drinks
ReplyDeleteHaha! Right. Thank you for your time :)
ReplyDelete