The 2004 vintage is underrated, if there ever is such a thing for Bordeaux. Not a lot of attention, because the wines are classic and elegant, instead of blockbuster. Which is great, because this is exactly the kind of wine I love. Delicate and intellectual - it's not an easy wine to drink and understand, but that's ok. And of course, it means that prices are more reasonable. Relatively speaking, that is.
We drank a 2004 Ch. Belle-Vue, AC Haut Medoc. It's a property located next to Ch. Giscours, so it shares the same soil, same location, but not the brand name and corresponding price. I have a few bottle of this stored away, but LCBO had a sale on it - it went down to $26.25, down from $31.70. Quite a significant drop, which is terribly upsetting, since it means I overpaid by quite a bit when these were just released.
I opened it the previous night. Lean and unforgiving, but incredible saturation of colour and the fruit was so fresh. It needed a lot of decanting and aerating - a few hours later, it begins to put on weight. Develops a creaminess, vanilla, but remains balanced. Good acidity, lots of classic Bordeaux flavours - red fruits, graphite, some smokiness. Long finish. My cousin didn't really like it. Callow palates, stay the hell away!
Fantastic wine, I can't wait until 2015, which is when I'll begin drinking this wine again.
No comments:
Post a Comment