2004 Inniskillin Montague Vineyard Pinot Noir, VQA Niagara Peninsula
I love this wine. Always loved it. Normally, I shy away from these wines made by these big producers, but this site is special. Montague Vineyard produces very fine, earthy wines with a distinct personality.
A bbq going on in the aroma. Lots of smoked, charred meat, with bright cherry flavours. Some minerality beginning to show. The colour is beginning to brown, but I think it's an oxidative property from improper storage. There's a fine texture - not so much a structure, but the acidity keeps it austere and in balance. Lovely red fruits in the mouth, with a pronounced minerality. Linear, with an earthiness and brightness that's quite special - this really straddles Old/New World pinot noir styles.
With the spaghetti, the acidity works wonders. Matches with the tomato perfectly, and the smoky note goes well with the meatballs. Great wine.
DF
I've had this vintage twice now, recently and a couple years ago, and both times it was just great!
ReplyDeleteIt's delicious - this is my 3rd bottle, I have 2 left. But I'd really like to get to the bottom of this premature browning I'm seeing.
ReplyDelete