
Finally, now that midterms are more or less finished, I have some time to write. And I have a lot of things I need to catch up on.
Let's start with a wine I tasted about 2 weeks ago. As I posted earlier, Flat Rock Cellars is a relatively new winery in Jordan, Ontario, in the Twenty Mile Bench appellation. It's just outside of the Niagara peninsula. I visited this property last October, and I was very impressed with the wines I tasted, a pinot noir and a pinot noir rose. They make really honest, earthy wines, the type that really, really cuts into your palate.
The 2006 vintage of their pinot noirs were just released to LCBO. After visiting the actual winery and watching the harvest take place, I really gained a new appreciation for the region, and this is definitely a winery that I will continue to follow.
The wine had a beautiful light, pomegranate-like colour. On the nose, there's this amazing mix of ripe berries, red fruits, earth, and roots. It follows on the palate, with tons of earthy gravel, and what is this winery's trademark - racy acidity. I can't describe how amazing this acidity is. It really makes the wine. It's refreshing, it immediately focuses the flavours of the wine and it's just so, so intense. Again, I find it amazing, given the light nature of the wine, and the 12.2% alcohol. Noticeable nutiness and a great finish on this wine as well.
I've become a huge fan of this winery. The winemaker here is making wine the right way, the proper way. I truly believe that the wine here is underpriced. Certainly, I will need to visit again, hopefully sometime in the next week. If you still have any doubt about the quality of Niagara pinot noir, just try this bottle. It reaffirms that there still are a few good winemakers out there.
No comments:
Post a Comment